Purpose.

Saving the world isn't meaningful if there is nothing worth saving in it. 

Dark Souls comes to mind, a vague promise made to a random stranger can only take me so far.

A game that has everything I love.
But, everytime I launch it, I ask myself. Why?
Why should I do this again?
There is no reason for me to save this world..

Give me reason.

given the chance Art by Jeannie Paske
Painting by Jeannie Paske


I feel like an entity that took control of a doll. A puppet.
I do love the game.
But,
If I love it then why can't I go back to it.

Dark Souls 3 I adore, there is a place that is home to me, there are people I care about, there is a reason to carry on. There is a reason for me to push on, I want to save this world, or at the very least do what I can. 

Give me something close but beware, as my love/vengeance/purpose is conditional. Chasing 'my' worthless fckn kid in Fallout 4 vs chasing Ciri in the Witcher 3. One tries to make a connection, the other is incompetence which results in apathy or hate towards the brat.

But yet we seek purpose, there has to be a reason greater than wanderlust. Breath of the Wild is wanderlust the game, yet there is direction. 

Without meaning what part of the game am I taking away? What was the point. I go to work, I come back. What did I accomplish other than my day to day survival? When I look back on my life what is it? Is it just a collection of moments spread out by vast amounts of mundanity? Do I want my movies to be as? Do I want the books I read to be as such? Do I want my games to be likewise? No purpose no goal. At the end when I look back all I see is squandered time.

But, Tell me why I should fight the dragon so the old man can get his toothpick. Give me a reason. Make me care about the old-man, make me care about his toothpick.
Make me care & I will.

Comments

Popular Posts